(photos courtesy of Disney Parks Blog)
In May of 2013 The Walt Disney Company announced that the Downtown Disney Resort area in WDW would be going under a major renovation known as Disney Springs. This expansion/renovation will take several years; however, it looks like Disney is keeping their promise and have begun construction last year on a parking garage for the existing problematic parking lot. And Team Mickey– an athletic store connected to the ever popular Tren-D and Guest Relations at Downtown Disney– will close January 26, 2014 to make way for multiple new stores! Including:
- Beautifully Disney – A beauty destination for woman featuring make-up, fragrance and beauty accessories.
- Cherry Tree Lane – Accessories for the sophisticated woman with a passion for scarves, shoes, bags and jewelry.
- D-Tech on Demand – A place to personalize and customize your own electronic accessories.
- The Trophy Room- Vintage inspired, lifestyle sports apparel and collectibles.
- Centerpiece – Home product for Guests that want a splash of Disney in their room furnishings, textiles and everyday ware.
- Zoey and Pickles – A girls’ destination containing the latest trends and glamour for the up and coming fashionista
(list courtesy of Disney Parks Blog)
These multiple stores will all be in one space though! Making it a co-op or kind of like a mini mall I suppose!
Several other changes are being made to the future Disney Springs to bring back some of the nightlife Downtown Disney previously had with Pleasure Island. Making it a destination that tourists and locals will want to visit again and agin. Some of these changes include:
- Food Trucks! (Open Wednesday through Sunday at the West Side)
- Fit2Run (check out Buzz’s article about the store here)
- Expansion of entertainment venues
- Splitsville (which opened in December 2012 and has definitely brought some life back to the West Side)
- Starbucks (I’m a Starbucks addict, so I am definitely excited for this one
- And much, much more!
I also appreciate the fact that Disney has a story for the new Disney Springs! According to Tom Staggs, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, the story goes like this:
“The story of Disney Springs begins at our new Town Center, which is oriented around a series of bubbling natural springs that first attracted settlers to the area. From there, the town grew to encompass three additional neighborhoods: The Landing, Marketplace and West Side – each with its own distinct charm and atmosphere. (…) Our fundamental goal is to create a welcoming, comfortable space where families can enjoy time together and instantaneously feel right at home. We want to give them opportunities to relax, to be entertained, to wander in and out of unique and distinctive shops or enjoy a world-class dining experience. And because we are Disney, we’ve anchored the entire experience around a story that gives us the ability to deliver on the legendary place-making and creativity for which we are known. The result is Disney Springs, a timeless and vibrant place that celebrates the turn-of-the century lakeside towns that dotted the Florida landscape.” (for more information regarding concept art and expansion click here)
Hopefully some new information regarding Disney Springs will be coming soon, and we will be letting you know when we hear anything!